Sunday, May 20, 2018

Reflective Searching

Image result for searching clipart
Hello all.  Have you ever had to search for something online and have not been able to find the answers you need?  I have and it is very frustrating, especially since Google has spoiled me to the instant search and find.  On any normal day I can search a topic and do not have a problem finding it. For example, I was looking for a vegan restaurant near me and in an instant, there were several to choose from. Yay and yum yum.  I can search for the everyday things I need, health questions, recipes, or make travel arrangements, but ask me about the third chapter of a novel written in 1810 and I do not know where to start. After reading articles on teen searching trends, I must be truly young at heart because I follow some of the same practices.  I tend to put in full questions in the search and do not use multiple search engines (Google is my favorite). I do however, check several sites to ensure what I find is accurate and pay close attention to the authors of the article to determine the validity of the information.  To be honest with you, I was not aware of all of the short cuts and tricks we can use to really "find" information on Google. Now I have some homework; practice using search tools!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Danielle! I agree with you completely. I can quickly come up with answers for everyday life questions, and most the time find it enjoyable to do "research" on such things, but academically/professionally it is much more of a task and I get overwhelmed. Also, I do not stray from Google, but I also don't like change, so there is that. LOL. So, like you, I am holding my own with the students. However, in the How Google Impacts The Way Students Think article, it mentions that Google suggests a natural "stopping" point once the answers have been found. And while I agree how this can be true for students, I do find myself differing from this because once I actually get started with something and am on the right path of finding the information, I usually dig a bit more-but maybe that is because I am a teacher and like to learn. But, it also makes me think that as a teacher, we really need to help our students push past these boundaries, or as the article states, go beyond these obscurities of "interdependence of information."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Google is my favorite as well. I use many of the tips and tricks daily as I work with teachers in our district. One of my favorites that we didn't get to try in our Google challenge is the filetype search. It is wonderful for finding files such as PowerPoints on a specific topic that the teachers can then download and adjust to meet their classroom needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Google is my favorite" might need a to be our team t-shirt for the course! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Higher- O rder   T hinking / Q uestioning  in the 6-12 Science Classroom       I am an avid believer that questioning is a key  ...