Friday, May 25, 2018

Letting Go (Blog #4)

Whenever I share my testimony about letting go of control in my classroom, I can still feel the pain in the pit of my stomach.  How will my students learn without me lecturing them?  Will they work well together or will one student do all of the work? If I had not seen examples of other teachers using inquiry in their classes, I would not have had the courage to try it in my class.  I remember observing a class and wanting to join in on the lesson, it was engaging and rigorous at the same time.  We had to think in this class and it lead to great learning. Principal Chris Lehman spoke of similar experiences in the webinar Chris Lehman- Inquiry: The Very First Step in the Process of Learning.  He mentioned students at his school love going to class and this is a result of using inquiry learning in each classroom.  This is what gave me the courage to release the balloon because I wanted my students to not just memorize scientific facts, but become scientists.

Technology is a tool that allows me to support my students in inquiry-based learning.
 It provides convenient way to for my students to ask and research questions in problem based learning cases.   Using Web 2.0 tools I was able to provide resources, monitor progress and provide feedback at any time.  The students learn at home at their own pace and we practice using their new knowledge via problem solving in class.  In the article, "Great Teaching Means Letting Go", Grant uses the analogy of coaching to describe the process of allowing your students to practice the game so that the coach has the opportunity to observe the players, provide feedback and allow for student reflection.  This is were great teaching takes place.  Students are allowed to explore the content and apply what they have learned in the hopes of making this world better than it was.

I look back now and know I could never go back to the lecture and lab days in my class.  I am a much better teacher today, because I teach more like a coach.  Before my summative assessments, my students have the opportunity to practice using the skills they have acquired through class drills to solve real-world problems.  I focus more on their performance and reflection.  I provide time for one on one and group conferencing to provide timely feedback. My students are engaged and they connect more to the practice of being a scientists and know that they can impact the world around them.

4 comments:

  1. Your classroom model is exactly what i want to implement in my classroom. I work as a paraprofessional but I am working towards my teaching certification. I want so badly to take over the classroom when the lead teacher is giving instruction because I feel as if she is not challenging them. I love the fact that you did let go. I am hoping that I can grasp these strategies that will benefit my students and maybe even inspire my district to adopt some of these practices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can! I am so happy that you have embraced this goal for teaching your students. Don't be afraid to provide students with resources that will help challenge them even in your current role. It will allow you to practice and experience how your students respond to being challenged. Good luck!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Danielle. I am so glad you offer your students opportunities to apply their learning to real world problems. My daughter who just finished her freshman year in college, often comments that her high school courses rarely required her to do this. As a result, she was not able to pass the AP Calculus exam even though she had a 95 in the course. She said it was because the test was mostly real world application of the math and she didn't know how to do it. She is now taking Pre-Calculus online this summer and it does have her apply the math in the real world,. She loved being able to "solve problems" before but now she knows what those answers mean. Isn't that powerful? So Yes Grant Wiggins...we need to "let go" and provide scrimmage time daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for those words, Jennifer. It is amazing that we still think that if we lecture students we are preparing them for college. I had to do a lot outside of my college lecture to pass my classes and that is what we need to teach our students. How to learn, solve problems and communicate in our content. Imagine what different type of experience your daughter would have if we did.

      Delete

Higher- O rder   T hinking / Q uestioning  in the 6-12 Science Classroom       I am an avid believer that questioning is a key  ...