Friday, June 8, 2018

Lesson Planning for Inquiry-based Lessons (Blog Post #6)

Inquiry learning is a way of learning in which engaging experiential learning and community outreach is an integral component of instruction and assessment. 
~ Danielle Armstrong   

I recently participated in a professional learning session on inquiry-based instruction and it was very eye-opening.  I experienced three forms of inquiry learning: structured, guided and open.  Prior to this session, I did not understand that there are different levels of exposure to this process. Now I am considering how this will impact my lesson planning. 



I am currently designing three mini-lessons on force, mass and motion for an 8th grade physical science class.  To add to the lessons authenticity, I plan to include an engaging scenario that allows my students to use their understanding of the concepts in a way that allows for choice and creativity. Engaging the students with the task of being a modern-day toymaker, will provide for multiple opportunities for engagement, action and representation.  With the goal to elicit deep understanding of the concepts, I will include strategies that allow students to not only express their understanding, but evaluate the ideas of their peers, revise ideas and offer an excellent opportunity for authentic assessment. Technology will not only be used to present information, but to document evidence, provide feedback to others and to share ideas with the digital community with the incorporation of web 2.0 tools.

The use of technology in the mini-lessons provides a seamless incorporation of many of the principles of inquiry.  Communication with experts will require the use of technical tools that will enhance student digital fluency skills.  The use of Skype will allow me to communicate with toymakers globally to assist with refining the rubric and critique student ideas in real time. A class discussion is featured daily to provide the opportunity for students to express their understanding of the importance of ethical citizenship. 

It is so refreshing to share my ideas with you. Incorporating all of the standards, models and principles can seem daunting, but being able to get feedback from fellow educators will ensure that my students are experiencing true inquiry-based learning. In other words, provide suggestions and feedback in the comments section below.   Stay tuned for future posts with links to my lessons. 

4 comments:

  1. HI Danielle! Great post! I am not sure if they will have what you need but have you visited www.microsoft.com/en-us/education/education-workshop/default.aspx ? They have a lot of examples of incorporating technology and use of experts in the field through skype. There might be something there that you could use in your lessons. It sounds so interesting! I think the students are going to love being toymakers. I think you could have students give each other feedback on their inventions through flipgrid or even blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jennifer!Thank you so much for your link! It is very helpful. I am looking to add flipgrid as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Great use of Skype! Seeing your post reminded me of NASA's free webinar series they have going on for educators this summer. They have one in the next couple of weeks over force and motion. https://www.eiseverywhere.com/333638 Here is the full list of webinars. https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/edu-5-8-current-opps.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun lesson-love the toy maker idea and the use of Skype. I, too, am new to the different levels of exposure of inquiry learning. I will be interested to see how the different types show through in your mini lessons. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Higher- O rder   T hinking / Q uestioning  in the 6-12 Science Classroom       I am an avid believer that questioning is a key  ...